Mendeley: Citation Management Tool
Mendeley is a citation management tool that, like many others, lets you collect & organize citations, & then easily insert them into documents & format bibliographies.
NSU Library Mendeley users gain access to Mendeley Institutional Edition (MIE) by accessing Mendeley via NSU email address. This gives North South University (NSU) library users 100GB personal library space, 100GB shared library space, 100 collaborators in private groups, and unlimited private groups.
Non-NSU email ID holders can still sign up for a free Mendeley account, which offers 2GB of web space and the ability to create 1 private group with up to 3 members, or can upgrade to a premium plan to access more space or groups.
With Mendeley, you can:
- Create and manage citations of books, articles, videos, and more
- Import citations from many databases
- Extract metadata from imported PDFs
- Collaborate with other researchers online
- Find relevant papers based on what you’re reading
- Highlight and annotate papers and share those notes with others
- Organize your sources using groups, tags, and filters
- Insert references into a Word document and format them automatically in a citation style of your choice;
- Showcase your work and connect and collaborate with researchers worldwide.
Sign up for an account
Go to www.mendeley.com and fill out the “Create a Mendeley account” form using your NSU institutional email address (e.g.: email@example.com).
Once you set up your account you can add details about yourself to your profile to help you connect with colleagues through Mendeley. You can also mark publications you have written and Mendeley will track the page view and download statistics on those articles for you.
Mendeley Cite add-in installation problem!
If you have recently upgraded your Mendeley reference manager software, you may have experienced some issues with the Mendeley cite add-in. Read here what you can do about it.
Mendeley Cite plugin and add-in
Mendeley cite allows you to cite as you write. It is an important function of your reference manager software.
The previous versions of Mendeley (Mendeley desktop, up to v1.19.8) work with a plugin to activate this function in Word. The newest versions of Mendeley (Mendeley Reference Manager, v2.12.0 and above) use an add-in instead.
The current issue and how to resolve it
If your Office Word version is licensed, you cannot install add-ins. But, you can still install plugins (Even works for unlicensed).
- If you have recently installed or upgraded to Mendeley Reference Manager (starting from v2.12.0), we recommend that you downgrade to Mendeley Desktop (up to 1.19.8).
- Do not install the stand alone Mendeley Cite add-in
- Do not upgrade to Mendeley Reference Manager when prompted to by Mendeley Desktop.
You can install Mendeley Desktop through the following link of Mendeley Website.